Power Woman of the Month
Chairperson / Managing Director
New Philip Hospitals ( Pvt ) Ltd.
Philip Hospitals (Pvt) Ltd.
Philip Health Care Solutions (Pvt) Ltd
Indrani Fernando had her early education at St. Bridget’s Convent, Colombo 7 and she was a brilliant Student gaining academic excellence in studies leading up to her higher education. She was an integral part in the Convent English debating team.
Then she joined Hatton National Bank in order to pursue her carrier in Banking. From there she went to London to continue her studies in banking.
She married Dr. Christo Fernando in 1978 and was a Housewife till 1994. They were blessed with a Daughter ( now a Doctor herself ) and a Son Chris ( who has completed his Diploma in Hospital Management while also pursuing a degree in Business Administration ).
In the year 1994 the family business was on the verge of closure and that’s the time Indrani Fernando came forward to rescue the family business with the blessings from the family . Many were not in favour of her decision because it was a major risk she was taking. Even the Financial Institutions were not willing to fund the project, yet she had the courage and determination to forge ahead and single handedly took the arduous task of developing this Nursing Home to be a multi speciality hospital. Her biggest task and priority was to win the patients confidence back again. Indrani started with a hand full of staff and now she is the proud leader of a team over 400 staff to support the forward march of her organization.
What stands today is Board of Investment of Sri Lanka approved multi speciality Hospital.
This is a testimony to Indrani’s dedication, honesty, hard work and down to earth attitude.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Two National Honours were awarded for the contributions made to the nation.
- National Honours - DESHAMANYA
- National Honours - LANKA MAATHA
- “Zonta” International Award for “Woman Entrepreneur for the Year 2004 & 2005”.
- Chamber of Industry & Commerce “Woman Entrepreneur of the Year 2005” - Large Category.
- “Business Excellence Award for Year 2007/2008” for Large Category from Kalutara District Ceylon Chamber of Commerce, Industry & Agriculture.
- “Best Woman Entrepreneur of the year 2007/2008” for Large Category from Kalutara District Ceylon Chamber of Commerce, Industry & Agriculture.
- “Woman Entrepreneur of the year 2009” - Women’s Chamber of Industry and Commerce, Sri Lanka.
- Women’s Chamber of Industry & Commerce, Sri Lanka “Woman Entrepreneur of the Year 2009” - Gold Award for Large Category.
- Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry of Sri Lanka – “ Western Province Bronze Award Winner for Year 2010 “ For Large Category Business.
- Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry of Sri Lanka – “National Bronze Award Winner for Year 2010 “ For Large Category Business.
- Ministry of Child Development and Women’s Affairs -For the contribution made to the Health Sector , “LIYAABHIMANEE Award 2011”
- The 5th International Summit on “Indo-African-Arab Women Entrepreneur”, held in May 2015 in New Delhi, India “Priyadarshani Award 2015 for Outstanding Woman Entrepreneur.
- Singapore –headquartered Business Excellence & Research Group ( BERG ) -
“ WOMEN ICONS Award 2017”
Membership of Chambers, Associations and Professional Bodies
- Ministry of Health ,BOARD MEMBER of the Private Health Services Regulatory Council ( PHSRC ).
- VICE PRESIDENT of Private Hospitals Association in Sri Lanka.
- Member of Kalutara District Chamber of Commerce & Industry.
- Life Member of Management Club
- Member of Sri Lanka Institute of Directors ( SLID )
- Life Member of Women in Management ( WIM )
Positions held in social and other Organizations
- An Adviser to Share Foundation. This foundation looks into the welfare of the poor elderly people in villages and helps in numerous ways.
- An Advisor to Saukyadana Movement – This movement helps the poor to earn a living by self employment . eg : making Envelops , Rugs, Hand Woven Stuff.
Help the children in education and find them suitable employment.